Tuesday 7 October 2014

Autumn again

After three seasons of trying, I managed a good crop of tomatillos.  I now have several pots of roast tomatillo salsa in the freezer.  It makes a great base for a "Guatemalan chicken stew" (found the recipe on the internet), we love it - incredibly easy to make, tasty and low in calories.

The last of the maincrop potatoes are in (desiree), and they also did very well - some of them are huge!  And they should last us for months, by the look of them (I haven't weighed them yet.)

The hops also did splendidly.  I have dried them and I will soon start brewing some beer for Christmas, now that the weather is a little cooler.  I have to rely on the outside temperature as I have lost the spare fridge.  I kept it in the garage for my bacon experiments, and to keep my beer whilst it matures in bottles.  A mouse made a nest inside!  It brought dry leaves and newspaper and shredded it to form a cosy nest.  It was with some trepidation that I disturbed it, as I didn't fancy having to deal with a bunch a baby mice, but fortunately the nest was empty by the time I found it.  I didn't  like the idea of using the fridge after that, though, so I had to dispose of it, which was a shame.
Here is a picture of the hops.  I will be back with a post on my beer brewing, to justify my title of Alewife!

No comments:

Post a Comment